Thursday, April 06, 2006

Boredom is a state of mind

Yesterday I was soooooooo bored. I had plenty to do in a variety of areas but none of them seemed worthwhile. So during the day I just surfed on various sites and sank lower and lower into boredom. When I got home I intended to go to the gym then the commissary but the boredom that ravaged me wouldn't allow it. Tommy was close to as bored as I was since his new toy sprung a leak so he set up the hammock and we rocked for a bit but then it got too cold. V for Vendetta was showing at the neaby AMC theatre which is a pretty crappy theatre but it's "free popcorn Wednesdays" with my Movie Watcher card so I figured it was a decent trade-off. So we went to Azteca for Happy Hour nachos. While there, the waiter forgot my order of beans and rice then later gave us change for a $.64 tab when really it was $10.64 (yay Happy Hour prices!) but since I've waited tables before I had to make sure he got what he deserved.....okay, just WRITING this is boring me.

Needless to say, over dinner I was too bored to go to the movies so we decided to rent one which is usually a fate worse than death for me because it's hard to settle on a movie. FORTUNATELY (I think I'm almost through writing so stick with me or don't, it is getting pretty dull) we both wanted to see Capote which turned out to be amazing but I was so drained by the end that I had to sit just there and cry. I should have known my hormones probably couldn't handle the heaviness and yet......

American Baby says, "As your body adjusts to its new hormone levels and the extra work it's doing, first-trimester symptoms start to subside. This may happen gradually, or as quickly as a light switch flicking off--suddenly, the nausea, fatigue, and constant need to urinate are gone. Your emotions also start to stabilize at this time. Suddenly this pregnancy thing doesn't seem so difficult anymore!" I am definitely not operating on the light-switch theory.

But the point of this long ramble and the little ray of sunshine that shot through my boring day at least for a moment (aside from the hammock swinging) was when we were at the rental place and I was struck motionless by my boredom combined with not knowing what to rent, Tommy came up to me and out-of-the-blue said, "You need a line of blow and an off-duty stripper!"

Man, I'm so glad I married that man AND I get to have his kid? What a bonus!

(Oh and "Boredom is a state of mind" is what my dad used to tell my hyper youngest brother. NOTHING could be more frustrating than to hear that in the throes of boredom.)

No comments: